Botanical Name: Cymbopogon nardus
Parts Used to Prepare Essential Oil: Mostly Leaves
Distinctive Feature: Citronella is not a native Indian subcontinent but that hasn’t stopped the herb form becoming popular in India. Used widely as a mosquito repellant, citronella has a myriad of other benefits. Being a perennial herbaceous plant, it can be grown in the backyard itself but with a lot of care!
Preparation Method: Deg and Bhapka
- Dewy leaves are picked in the twilight. This is a task that requires skill, hence experienced workers are used to picking the nascent leaves.
- The leaves are then collected and taken into the distillery.
- Leaves are soaked in water for some time and then transported into copper stools called Degs
- The next step is to seal the Degs to lock the steam from escaping.
- The Deg is connected to a copper pot via a hollow bamboo pipe called chonga.
- The Deg is now heated until steam starts to form.
- As the still is heated, the water molecules from nascent leaves and water mixture starts to evaporate and change into steam.
- After a few hours, the distillate is condensed, and then the mixture is connected to the setup.
- The filtered liquid is emptied out in a copper utensil and again the same process is repeated.
- The essential oil extracted as a result of the second distillation is in the purest form.
Smell: Grassy with a hint of floral
- Acts as an insect repellent.
- Has anti-fungal properties.
- Has anti-parasitic properties.
- Has antiseptic properties.
- Acts as an antidepressant.
- Can be used as a preservative.
Precautions to be kept in mind:
- Do not apply directly to the skin.
- Do not use it in excessive quantity.
- Keep it out of reach of children.
- Preganant ladies or breastfeeding mothers avoid using it.
Why buy Citronella Essential Oil Online from Sugmy?
You can buy citronella essential oil online from sugmy, As we manufacture natural Citronella Essential oil by using 100% pure, organic, and Alcohol-free raw material. We use the traditional ‘Deg and Bhapka’ method for extracting attar which is proven to retain the purity of the essential oils. We get the raw materials directly from farmers from different regions of India and other countries. By using this raw material we provide you one of the best essential oils in India.